Monday, January 11, 2010

Brioches & Croissants & Trader Joe Find #1


If anyone has every been to Italy, it is the sites and smells that come out of places like this one that causes you to dream of bread, brioche and anything Pasticceria!















Okay... well making brioche, croissants or pane e cioccolata is not an easy task for a first timer.
I tried to make my own croissants using this recipe...

One of my biggest challenges with this recipe was finding the right kind of yeast. Honestly, fresh yeast is the way to go with this stuff... and it seems in my area, you just can't find it. I am guessing regular dry yeast would be fine. My mistake was using rapid rise yeast. DON'T DO IT. It only rises once and it looses alot of its flavor by being rapid. Bummer. A lot of work and no rise. Oh well.

SOOOOO... I found a WONDERFUL... I mean seriously wonderful alternative to the 2 day process of making your own croissants... buy them at Trader Joe's!! Trader Joe's has a wonderful frozen chocolate croissant that will be a HIT in your house!















I basically followed the box instructions. Put the out the night before at 9 pm. When I woke up they were puffy! Brushed them with a little egg and baked at 350 for 20 minutes. VOILA... Italy in America. With an espresso... oh my!
And our resident model was very happy to try out the successful croissants!
















7 comments:

  1. Oh my God he is so beautiful!!!!Makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    I found the fresh yest at farm Fresh the other day, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think we have a farm fresh. I will check, for sure!
    Thanks Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring those boys over to my house, let's make some brioche!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Trader Joe's chocolate croissants really are fantastic - we use them as a special breakfast treat!

    And thanks for posting the instructions - I threw my box out last night after taking the frozen croissants out, and I was at a small loss re: temperature and time this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to look for these!! Leila got us the ones from Williams Sonoma this last year and OMG were they delish!!! Guess I will have to compare now :)

    ReplyDelete